Participatory Social Innovation Design Platform for Local Community
Yuseong-gu, Deajeon City (2016. 04 ~ 2016. 12)
Designize Lab. conducted a project with Yuseong-gu, a district office of Daejeon City, South Korea. Except for Seoul, the capital city, Daejeon has the highest youth population in South Korea (1 in 3 is Youth). There are 14 universities and four colleges in Daejeon and seven of those are located in Yuseong-gu. Yuseong district office is now exploring the way of collaborating with local universities/colleges for youth people.
In this context, Yuseong district office asked Designize lab. a research project, which aims to explore effective ways for the district office to work with youth people.
The project consists of three phases:
1) Understand local community in Yuseong-gu
- Conduct case studies on utilizing design thinking for local community development (e.g. urban planning, community design)
- Analyze existing local policies and initiatives in Yuseong-gu
- Conduct a series of field studies to identify local issues and needs in Yuseong-gu (photo study, survey, community mapping)
2) Develop Themes for Design-driven Public Initiatives
- Conduct generative workshops with local residents / university students / teenagers / youth activists
- Filter and categorized the ideas to develop final themes for design-driven public initiatives
3) Establish a Master Plan for Implementation
- Conduct an expert workshop (with district officers) to establish implementation criteria
- Build an algorithm for supporting decision=making in developing each theme
- Establish key design considerations, activities, and operation planes for each theme